Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Better Get Hit In Your Soul

     Yesterday morning, I sat down at our little breakfast table to have some post-run coffee, and I started to read a book on Gardening I bought at the thrift store. So I'm reading it and at the bottom of page four I read the line pictured above: 'Turn the page for the truths that will make you free." Wow. After I read that I wasn't sure if I wanted, or was daring enough, to turn the page. That's what I get for most of my gardening books being from the early- to mid-70s.
     So I haven't posted in a little bit, but it's because I've been kind of busy moving and all that. We're living in the house, we have been for over a week, and it's really great. Been doing stuff to get the shed ready, started siding it yesterday, and I've been doing what little the inside needs as well. It's been a busy time, but that's OK, because there haven't been that many waves to distract me.
    As far as ride reports for SF 004, I did get to take it out twice so far. The first time the waves weren't that hot, but I did get to see that the board paddles and catches waves very nicely. I got an idea of what the board rode like, but since the waves were small and mushy and I was still finding the right foot positioning it was a little bit of a bust.The second time the waves were a little better, still small, but there were some nice lefts with a little line to them. The board is fun, fast, and loose. I'm just curious how it will handle on some bigger, cleaner stuff. I think it will work out pretty well. Hopefully I'll find out this Wednesday.


     "Better Get Hit In Your Soul," the first track off of Mingus Ah Um (1959), by Charles Mingus. I realize that jazz has been given the short end of the stick on this blog, and that has not been sitting well with me. I'm not one of the oh-so-and-so played-drums-on-this-record-and-it-was-recorded-on-such-and-such-a-date-with-whosit-on-sax-type of jazz fan, the kind that know every detail about all kinds of jazz records, but I do know when I'm in the right frame of mind, jazz can get me just as well as any other music. That being said, Charles Mingus is one of my favorite jazz artists, Mingus Ah Um one of my favorite albums of his, and "Better Get Hit In Your Soul" one of my favorite songs on the album. So yeah, dig it, man.

3 comments:

  1. C'mon, man. Did you turn the page? And what did it say? Don't keep the audience in any more suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't start working on my board, i'm going to burn your house to the ground. See the correlation here??? Chris buys house, Chris stops working on surfboards. Chris is homeless, Chris has more time to shape surfboards and update his blog. Sorry Jennine.

    -Ry Guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Ryan, but Frank paid me to not make your board. It's a bummer but money talks.

    ReplyDelete