Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Board Bag!

     The fact of the matter is this: that every person is at the center of their world, in other words: self-centered. You inevitably see things from your viewpoint, a viewpoint backed with your experiences and your beliefs and your being. No matter how hard you try and imagine you see something from a different point of view, I from yours or you from mine, you are imagining that persons viewpoint from your self: you are still the center imagining you are seeing it from another's center, but it's still yours. You are the center of your world.
     This fact occasionally leads to unfortunate and inevitable instances of inadvertent selfishness, and this is one of them. I realized the other day that in all the hooplah (sic?) I made about 004 being completed and being happy with it and all that, I forgot to include this bit of information: Jeannine made me the above board bag even before the board was finished. She made it out of canvas and some felt-like material with lighthouses and seabirds on it. Here's the pattern:
     It's pretty cool, and does the trick in keeping the sun off the board, and even offers some protection from minor whacks against things. It will have a drawstring on the end, but the needle broke on her sewing machine. So yeah, apologies for my self-centeredness.
     Been busy trying to get the shed ready and get things together. The lack of waves of any real substance has been killing me, but at least I have my Sunfish in the water so when it's windy I can cruise the Bay and get my salt-water kick. I've already had it out once in some pretty strong winds and nothing broke, so that beats last years Sunfish Sailing record of Nature:1, Me:0.
 Now that's strange flora!


 

     I just finished watching "You're Gonna Miss Me," a documentary about Roky Erickson, best known as one of the lead guys in the band that coined the term "psychedelic rock," the 13th Floor Elevators. If you've never heard them, hear them. Anyway, that's not what this is about. The documentary really interesting and very well done, it really shines some light on the troubled life of this excellent musician. He suffered from schizophrenia most of his life until recently his younger brother gained custody of him and got him the help he needed. As a result, Mr. Erickson not only released a new album this year, with Okkervill River serving as his backing band, but was able to tour (he played two shows in the area, both of which I regretfully missed, the reason for which escapes and mystifies me).The above song is the title track off of his new album, True Love Cast Out All Evil, and below is track number three, "Goodbye Sweet Dreams." ENJOY!


 


2 comments:

  1. Interesting comments on self centerness. My own observations are similiar but I'll add this truth: The happiest people I've ever met are the ones who do actually escape from this sickness we call "My point of view". They are able to serve others in the capacity that suits them and really do see other peoples perspectives well. These folks have found a way to breakthrough thier own self-centeredness and truely be a joy to themselves and everyone else they come in contact with.
    Conversly, people who are the most annoying, horrible to be with and just plain ugly, are those who insist on living life with them at the center. We all know people like this and most of the time we wish they would disappear. Although maybe the world needs these ugly backdrops for beauty to appear even more beautiful.
    No matter what your personal belief is about Jesus Christ, his treatment of other people was uncanny and beautiful, especially considering the time and social setting in which he lived. He did give us a pattern to follow if we want to live fulfilling lives. He truly was (is) a selfless man who cared more for the needs of others than his own personal safety and comfort.
    Mother Teresa is a great modern day example of someone commiting thier entire life to serve the poor and expecting no personal recognition for her work, although she ultimatly recieved it. I'm looking forward to meeting her someday. I bet she possessed depth of character that few can understand.
    In my years of construction work, one project stands out as most rewarding. A number of years ago I was part of a team helping to build some buildings in Brazil that were to be used as classrooms and medical clinics. We worked side by side with some locals who knew no English. Some of the laborers had no shoes which is tough on a construction project. This project was in an extremely poor area- these folks had no way to repay us but we were not expecting any. I had the most fun, working extremely hard to serve people, most of whom I would never get to meet but who desparetly needed our help. We recieved nothing for our labor, only food and lodging yet I gained far more on that trip than in all the other years I've worked combined. Why? Because I gave freely. Talk about fun!

    In closing, it's important and possible to overcome our self centeredness. That's what makes great neighbors, great employees, and great people. When someone undertakes to seriously serve others, that one is a great man (or woman).
    J-9: Boardbag looks great. It's one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. none of us are the center of the world, we are all just little specks floating on the surface of the water.....

    ReplyDelete