Saturday, August 7, 2010

005 is finished!

    Finished SF 005 for Mark earlier the middle of this week. He came up today and fortunately there was some OK surf to try it out in. Went over mid-afternoon and got some waist high surf with some push behind it. Not the best lines but there was something at least. It was really a unique feeling watching him surf the board I made, and surf it well, it being the first board I have made specifically for someone else. A really good feeling actually.
     I really like how the rails came out on this board. They are like what I was shooting for with 004, but didn't quite get. I'm really excited to keep on making some more boards. Next up (possibly) is Frank's 5'4" that I'm making out of his fish I cut down a while back. Should be interesting. Stay tuned.
   
     Went to the showing of Dark Fall at the Seaport on Thursday. Here's my review: I'll never watch Dark Fall again. It really had nothing much going for it, in my opinion. It had a lot of things working against it: sub-intelligent narration, music I didn't really care for, an filmmaking/editing style I also didn't care for because I thought it was nothing special (and, lest we forget, I am a cinema studies minor), and kind of jerky seeming people in it. Here's a cool thing (loosely quoted): "Surfing is all we can do during the winter to keep our sanity." Actually, that's not that cool. Hmmm, let's see. Maybe you could read a book? That might help out with the dim narration. Or possibly get a real job. Or, I don't know, learn to play an instrument. My point being: That's a stupid thing to say.
    
Some of the good things were:
               
A) The segment on Dean Randazzo
B) As Frank brought up while I was ranting against the movie while surfing the next morning, the segment about surfing in the winter and the comaraderie it breeds. Although this may have been overshadowed by the "stars" of the show complaining about how hard it is to surf with 5mm wetsuits and ice-cream headaches. Grow up.
C) The summer section with the small waves was kind of cool.
D) While this film will probably fade into obscurity out in the real world, it did feature some amazing waves that almost all people outside of the state and many people inside the state would find hard to believe came from NJ.
      So yeah, there's my official review. Take it or leave it.

      All of you psyche-rock fans may already know all this, but anyway: Black Mountain and the Black Angels are both releasing new albums on the same day (Sept. 14th). Black Mountain will release Old Fangs and the Black Angels will release Phosphene Dreams. Both albums will probably be amazing if each band stays on their current course of excellence. So that's one bit of the news. But the other bit, and the bit I just found out a couple days ago, is that the two bands will also be doing an Autumn tour together, and not only that, but the show in Philly falls on a Saturday, and not only that, but they're having a four-ticket-for-the-price-of-three deal. I've never seen the Black Angels, but Black Mountain is a really solid and psychedelicizing live band.

Get there.

Black Mountain:

Modern Music -  Self-Titled, Track 1
Tyrants - In The Future, Track 3

The Black Angels:

Surf City (Revisited) - Black Angel Exit EP, Track 1
Vikings - Directions to See a Ghost, Track 8

Potato Leaf.

1 comment:

  1. Great looking board and another great logo...and board bag. I don't know nutin' 'bout Black Angels and I think the Black Hills are in North Dakota. But I like potatos. I do know about 5mm wetsuits and ice cream headaches...at the same time.
    I love J9's etsy site...didn't know she was doing that.

    ReplyDelete