Sunday, January 23, 2011

School of Vintage, or, Buy Old Things

     Jeannine and Erin have started a blog for their Etsy site, on which they sell vintage clothes and housewares and whatever else they want to sell. You can check out the blog HERE, and if you ask me I'll tell you the items I have on consignment there, so you can buy them and make me a rich man.
     Old things are better, and that broad-sweeping generalization is not just a nostalgia or a vain reminiscence of bygone times, but a fact, for the most part. Take a Pyrex bowl, for instance:
     I use this bowl, not this exact bowl, but a bowl just like it for oatmeal every day. The pattern and colors are really interesting(look for the Spring Blossom Green series Strange Flora Surfboards, coming soon), but really simple all at the same time. No superfluous details or extravagant hyperbole, just a plain bowl with a simple floral design. But these old bowls feel good to hold, and as far as the bigger mixing bowls and all that, they just work better. Mix something, a cookie batter or anything, in a plastic bowl, or even a metal bowl, and then mix something in an older, heavier Pyrex bowl. Feel the difference.
    Also, show this to your grandparents, or even parents, and chances are they will recall this or a similar set with fondness. When we are older, will we remember that plastic bowl from Target or that metal bowl from Walmart? I can tell you we won't. It'll just be another thing we had that was cheap and got dirty and old and broke and we bought a new, shinier, plastickier(sic) one. That's one of the things I like a lot about old things:  they represent a time when industry attained, for a brief, magic instant, the ability to create things of quality and substance that would be not only remembered, but used to the highest degree of their intended function, for decades and decades. The same could be said for old surfboards, glassed heavy and made to last. This is before everything became disposable.
    So, I'm done with that, now go to their Etsy site and buy things. If I ever sell my Skil 100, it'll be on there, but I never will, so just buy something else instead.


Sometimes, this is one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs. Joan Baez tries to ruin this version, but it's still alright. The album version, on The Times They Are A-Changin', is much better. Seek it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment