Friday, May 20, 2011

It's the end of the world as we know it....

...and I feel fine. That's right you may have heard that tomorrow may be the beginning of the end, which is true in the sense that any day could be the End, and truer in the sense that for many, many people, tomorrow will be the End of their world, and it could be the End of my/your world. Who knows?
 And since any day now could be the End, I bought a new board this week. Well, new to me.  A 6'2 swallow tail Bonzer, shaped by Malcolm Campbell. I've been reading about Bonzers for about a year and a half, and I have to admit at first I wasn't that interested. I thought that fin setup looked kind of funny. But as I started reading more, I liked what I heard, especially the lightning-down-the-line part.
     There are those concaves. So this one came along and it was reasonably priced, so I grabbed it. I can't wait to try it out, because it's a completely different fin setup than I've ever surfed. Now all we need is a large swell. Hopefully I don't have to wait until fall.



When it comes down to it, I feel like one of the key aspects in all music is repetition. It could be the decision to repeat a musical phrase for an entire song and elaborate on said phrase, or not to repeat a part at all. I find a lot of the music I like has lots of repetition, like the song above. Brain Eno with "The Big Ship" off of Another Green World. Eno is a master of making repetition interesting. I am still waiting for someone to make a surf film using Eno's transcendent "Discreet Music" as a soundtrack. The entire song. Below is half of it. The surfing would have to be very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment