Friday, November 18, 2011

I'd Rather Be a Functioning Cog in Some Great Machinery Serving Something Beyond Me

    Started working on 009 last week. I had cut the blank out of the EPS block a while ago, and I finally got around to gluing the stringer in. Last time I glued up a blank, I tried to stack bricks on top of the two pieces to weigh them down, which, while working in the end, was a big hassle and ended with lots of Gorilla Glue on my hands. This time, I actually thought for a minute, and used the system above, which was very, very easy. 
     I went with a template that was very close to 008, except I pulled in the outline a bit, and filled in a diamond tail where the fish would have been cut out. It's 5'5", which is what I thought that 008 was, except when I measured said board, it turned out to be 5'3". Don't know how that happened, but I like knowing that I've been surfing (and having tons of fun) on a board that short. I just like short boards. 
     The board is close to being finished, just have to do some final shaping touches and it'll be ready for glassing. As much as I like surfing keels, I think I'm going to make this one a quad, maybe canard quad cutaway fins or just regular quad (most likely the latter at first, since I already have them). I'm pretty excited to try this one out.

Really great song off of Fleet Foxes 2011 release Helplessness Blues. Check the album out, it's pretty good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment