Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow!

     Well, a little anyway. Enough for Henry to love it, and for it to look nice, at least for a little while. Once again, haven't been keeping up with this blog. For the few people who check read this, and for myself, I'll try to keep up on it more.
     I have been slowly making my way through 009, which can be seen in the photo above standing in our dining room lammed, hotcoated, and awaiting sanding, which maybe I'll get to this weekend. It's funny, I find it takes me so much time to begin the next step on a board, and that it sits for a while, but then when I actually start I enjoy it so much I wonder why it took me so long. There's always something going on, I guess. That's just how it goes.
     This is the first board I've done with epoxy, and I have to say I love it. It wets out on the cloth so much easier, especially when you microwave the resin first to heat it up, and as a result it uses less, so weighs less the kind I used (Resin Research Fast) allows plenty of time to work with it. The mixing ratio is always 2:1, no matter what temperature, so it does away with the charts and figuring that comes with traditional poly resin. It has no odor, which means no ventilator, and I can bring it inside to let it cure so I don't have to keep the shop heated. Also, the lack of odor, along with a carefully placed tarp, would allow me to glass in the house, thus saving the money of heating the shop at all, if only I could convince the Missus. It cleans up with vinegar and gojo citrus handcleaner, which puts an end to harmful-for-me solvents. All in all, it's great stuff, and I can't wait to use more of it.
     I like the Feelies alot. I first got into them after reading Rick Moody's 1992 novel Garden State, and have since been a fan. However, I often find myself listening to their first album, Crazy Rhythms, and eschewing their sophomore album The Good Earth. I found that record at a thrift store a couple weeks ago (in a lucky record haul that also included the Beatles' Help! soundtrack, Pet Sounds, Led Zeppelin I, Kinks Kronikles, some Mitch Ryder records, and a bunch of other good stuff), and after listening to it I wondered why I haven't more. Also, their new album is pretty good. 


ON A FINAL NOTE, in trying to catch up with all the movies we didn't get to see this past year, we watched Another Earth last night. It was an interesting and well-done science fiction film, but sci-fi in a way that uses the sci-fi element as a backdrop and instigator, a MacGuffin type thing, that drives the very human drama that plays out between the very human characters. More psychological sci-fi than aliens-and-rayguns sci-fi. I would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment