Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Blissful Evening in the Woods


     As long as I live, I will cherish all of these cold mid-winter night rides with Henry in the woods. They get me out in the cold when I might be more inclined to stay inside after working all day out in the cold, and they give the little man a workout he would never otherwise get. But on top of that, there is something pretty magical about the woods at night, especially the hour after the sun sets and and darkness seeps in and engulfs the fading light in the West. It is generally an exceptionally still time, and I sometimes stop and just listen and look at the silhouettes of the trees, dark against the dying light. That is, I stop for just as long as Henry will allow.


    I got out in the water last Tuesday for the swell the mighty blizzard Juno kicked up for us. Some really fun chest-head speedy lefts down at WJ. Basically, my favorite kind of swell at my favorite place. It felt really good to get in the water again, it felt like it had been forever since I had caught a real wave.


By the time I got out, the swell had faded a little bit, but there were still some really fun waves coming through. I had to get out because my leash broke and I had a pretty long swim, so that combined with surfing for the first time in a while pretty much killed my arms. That, and I didn't have another leash with me. Really beautiful evening though.




Selfies while riding in the snow aren't the easiest thing, but at least I got Henry in the picture too.


"Moonshine," by Bardo Pond, off of their exquisite album Ticket Crystals.

No comments:

Post a Comment