Monday, January 18, 2010

Ride Report: 003

Sike! No ride report to speak of. Don and I went over first thing, but the waters were too wild to do anything with. The waves were good size, waist to chest, but they were all peaks, and the inside was tumultuous to say the least. It being so close to high (I think high is actually right now about, as I write this) there was too much water. We checked Wooden Jetty first and then went to Harvey Cedars. It looked the same there, except the inside was way more crazy because the sand dunes they've built up with the 'dozers has been washed away and now there are just sheer faces of sand that the waves hit, then reflect off of, without losing much energy, and make the inside a mess. So we didn't go out. But on the way home, we went checked 24th street in Surf City and here's what we saw:



While we checked the waves I said, "That looks like a carcass down there," half-jokingly. Then it moved. We went down and sure enough, it was what I believe to be a harbor seal, or some kind of seal at least, hanging on the beach. We got about three feet away, thinking that maybe it was hurt or something, but then it decided to split.

 
 

And that's the last we saw of him/her. Hopefully the little thing wasn't hurt. I've never seen a seal in the wild, so being that close to one on the beach definitely made the morning worthwhile. As far as surfing, I'm hoping that around 11 or noon or so, as the tide goes out a bit and the wind calms, the waves will be better, but if not tomorrow morning's looking good too.

3 comments:

  1. This blog gets my seal of approval! Get it? HaHaHa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seal pics are awesome. I didn't think anyone believed me that i saw two of 'em at Wooden Jetty two years ago. Nice to have some LBI documentation.

    -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've named him Kilgari Hunterdome. I want to hug and kiss him. Imagine?

    ReplyDelete