Sunday, January 3, 2010

Strange Brain Flora


 
These two bad pictures are of great significance because they are my first taken of this Year of Our Lord 2010 (well, on the digital camera anyway). I went out that morning for about two hours, and enjoyed some waist to chest high waves to myself. Not a bad way to start the new year. They were clean, but some were breaking weird because of the reflection of the waves off of the steep Harvey Cedars beach and the full moon (blue moon) high tide. Still, there were some really fun waves to be had. Took the Dewey Weber out, first with the Liddle flex fin I got for Christmas, then with the fin I made. I like the fin I made in that board better (it didn't help that the Liddle fit sloppily in the box). Anyway, yeah, so I took some pictures, and when I got home, these were the only two that were on the camera. Thought I took more. The one picture of the waves doesn't really do the day justice, but still shows something. Everyone should get to surf by themselves on New Year's Morning.

Did some work on the board yesterday, just prepping for the hotcoat, which I think I'm going to do tomorrow. The more I think about it, the more I want to paint the same color over the hotcoat, to cover all the crystallization. On one hand, I want to surf it, but with no swell forecast for the next week, it doesn't look like that will be possible even if I finish it, but on the other hand, I like the color a lot, and I'd like the board to look as nice as possible. I was going to try to maybe do some black detail work over the spots, but they're too randomly placed. We'll see what happens. I also worked on a makeshift chemical scrubber, an idea I got from, you guessed it, Swaylock's. It's just a box fan on the flat, with some activated carbon (the kind for fish tanks) sandwiched between two air duct vents and taped to the back of the fan. The whole contraption will then be suspended from the ceiling over the glassing stands. The idea is that the air will get circulated and each time some of the smell will be absorbed into the carbon. I'm doing this because after the lam coat, the house had the wonderful, but highly toxic, scent of resin to it. I'm gonna give Yankee Candle a call and tell them to market that scent, so I can enjoy it without the cell mutations, which said cell mutations lead to...


...strange brain flora...




...and wild onions. Ha ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment