Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Soon

  
     Even though I've been pretty busy with moving-related stuff lately, I've still been able to work on the board some. Got the second lam coat done on Sunday, and then I was able to do both hotcoats Monday evening. Everything went pretty well with all the fiberglassing. All the gel times were perfect and most of it came out smooth. I did free laps, which is nice (as opposed to cut laps) because it A) saves the waste of tape and B) saves time by not having to tape off and by not having to cut the laps. I'm getting better at knowing how much resin to use so as to reduce waste: on the deck hotcoat I used 20 oz., which was enough to do the board, then hotcoat the four fin panels. On the bottom, I used 16 oz., which proved just enough. It's a far cry from my first and second boards, where I would only use 3/4 of the resin I had catalyzed.
     For this decal I used my paint spray gun and sprayed the back of the rice paper, to make it opaque so the stringer wouldn't show through. It worked pretty well, and is something that I meant to do on the last board, but didn't.
     Didn't get to go surfing the past couple days, mainly because of work and busy doing other things. Yesterday morning I got there before the wind had really cleaned it up, and after work the wind had cleaned it up too much and blown it out for the most part. Water looked really beautiful though, really clear. I'll get in again, at this rate maybe not until I've got a new board.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,

    Board looks great! Looks WAY better than Frank's boombastik!!

    -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I want you to design the logo for my board just throw the one I made in the trash, your creativity is way better!!! waves sun?

    ReplyDelete